The 3,100-seat Steifel Theatre (former Kiel Opera House) was completed in 1934 as part of the Municipal Auditorium complex that included the 9,300-seat Convention Hall that later became known as Kiel Auditorium.
The Opera House is all that remains of the original complex and extends south approximately 250 feet, where it meets Enterprise Center, the arena completed in 1994 that replaced Kiel Auditorium. Its facade extends 322 feet along Market Street frontage on the Memorial Plaza as part of St. Louis' most significant grouping of civic buildings.
The Opera House featured seven venues, including an ornate main theatre with approximately 3,100 seats and a two-story front lobby (constructed entirely of Tennessee and Ste. Genevieve marble), four small side theaters or halls (with a capacity of up to 700 seats each), an exposition hall, basement restaurant/bar space, offices, dressing rooms and other support spaces for the facility.
During its height of activity, the Opera House attracted the world's finest performers, including concert artists, Broadway shows, plays, dance companies, symphonies, blues, jazz, country-western, rock, grand opera and light opera. It also presented several Veiled Prophet balls, choral pageants, civic events, and traveling exhibits.
Beginning in the 1950s, rock concerts and touring stage shows joined the regular rotation of performances at Kiel Opera House. The most famous rock show ever staged at Kiel Opera House ranks as possibly the most anticipated concert in St. Louis history. On July 6, 1978, the Rolling Stones sold-out the 3,557 seats in the Opera House in 75 minutes after a one-time radio announcement on two St. Louis radio stations.
Through a recent naming rights partnership, the facility is now known as the Steifel Theatre. It is located at 1400 Market Street, St. Louis, Missouri 63103. Call 314-499-7600 for more information. (The Steifel Theatre is closed until further notice.)
The art deco monumental "Courage" statue by Walker Hancock is one of four horsemen flanking the entrances to the museum.
The "Vision" statue by Walker Hancock, one of the Monuments Men, who recovered art treasures looted by the Nazis.