The Central West End
- "The Heart of the City"
"When you think Saint Louis, think Saint Louis Front Page," a weekly publication covering the news and events in the greater St. Louis area.
How To Reach:
St. Louis Front Page
3832 S Broadway Street
St. Louis, MO 63118
To submit news, contact:
To advertise, contact:
One of St. Louis' featured business districts hosts an assortment of fine restaurants, multi-cultural galleries, specialty shops on Euclid Avenue, Maryland Plaza and McPherson Ave.|
ST. LOUIS, MO, (SLFP.com) - The Central West End is an eclectic, cosmopolitan showplace of St. Louis. Located in the central corridor of the City, just north of Forest Park, the area is a popular gathering place. A fine selection of restaurants and sidewalk cafes are nestled in with notable art galleries, antique shops, specialty shops, boutiques and bookstores.
The area was created during the period of the City's westward expansion in the late 19th century and the building boom of the 1904 World's Fair. During this time, private streets with beautiful, luxurious residences were built. Today, the stately homes on tree-lined streets maintain the prestigous neighborhood.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, located at 4431 Lindell Blvd., contains the world's largest collection of mosiac art, covering 83,000 square feet. The cathedral, designated a basilica in 1997, was built between 1907 and 1909.
The interior mosaics took a father and son team nearly 80 years to create using than 41 million pieces of tile in over 7,000 colors. A Mosaic Museum, located in the lower level of the cathedral, traces the contruction and installation of tiles. The glittering green dome is a landmark feature of the Central West End.
It is the gift of Adelaide Schlafly in memory of her late husband, Daniel. The angel's arms are outstretched over three children of different ethnic and racial backgrounds playing a "Hymn of Peace" on diverse instruments. Quotations from the New Testament, Pope John Paul II, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and a dedication to Mr. Schlafly are inscribed on the base.
A life-size bronze sculpture of Pope John Paul II, by artist Rudy Torrini, sits on a red Missouri granite base outside the cathedral. The sculpture was commissioned by the Archdiocese of St. Louis to commemorate the Papal Visit, January 1999. For more information, call (314) 458-4343.
The Chase Park Plaza, at Kingshighway between Lindell and Maryland Plaza, has been rennovated for hotel accommodations and upscale private residences. The complex features restaurants, a movie theatre and banquet facilities.
Return to Saint Louis Front Page
The Saint Louis Front Page is owned and maintained by the Moore Design Group for the sole purpose of disseminating news and information about the Metropolitan Saint Louis area. Text or graphics may not be copied, rewritten or distributed in any manner whatsoever without written permission. For more information, contact email@example.com All rights reserved world wide © 1996 - 2013 Moore Design Group.
Vacation Savings at
St. Louis Fine